Browning some of the butter first gives our shortbread a deep, rich flavor. You can bake it in either a standard cake or tart pan or a shortbread mold.Read More + Read Less Cal/Serv: 150 Yields: 4 Cook Time: 0:45 Total Time: 1:00 Ingredients 12 tbsp. unsalted butter (no substitutions) 1/2 c. sugar 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt Directions
- In heavy 2-quart saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over low heat. Cook butter 8 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until butter solids at bottom of pan are a rich brown color and butter has a nutty aroma. (Be careful not to overbrown butter; it will have a bitter flavor.) Pour browned butter into small bowl; refrigerate until almost firm, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar with cooled browned butter and remaining 6 tablespoons softened butter until creamy.
- With hand, mix flour and salt into butter mixture just until crumbs form. (Do not overwork dough; shortbread will be tough.) Pat shortbread crumbs into ungreased 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom or cake pan.
- Bake shortbread 40 to 45 minutes, until browned around the edge. Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove shortbread from pan to cutting board. While still warm, cut shortbread into 16 wedges. Cool wedges completely on wire rack. Store cookies in tightly covered container.